Our Mission

At GARAS (Gloucestershire Action for Refugees and Asylum Seekers) we offer support to those seeking asylum in Gloucestershire, welcoming them when they arrive, advocating for them in their daily struggles, supporting them if they face being sent back as well as helping them adjust to their long term future if they are recognised as refugees.

Contact Information

Gloucestershire Action for Refugees and Asylum Seekers (GARAS)
The Trust Centre
Falkner St

Telephone: 01452 550528
email: info@garas.org.uk

Adele Owen

EU Settlement Scheme

If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen living in the UK, you and your family members need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to ensure that you can continue living in the UK after Brexit.

All your non-UK family members, including children and dependent members who are non-EU citizens, will need to apply. If you already hold Indefinite Leave to Remain, you don’t need to apply but can if you want to. If you have Permanent Residency Status, you will still need to apply.

GARAS can help you to understand the Scheme, and how to protect your rights by applying.

How do I apply?

The EU Settlement Scheme is open to applications, and you will need to apply online. To apply, you will need to be living in the UK by 31 December 2020, and you will need:

  • a valid identity card or passport
  • your national insurance number if you have one
  • an email address
  • a phone number

Application guidance can be found on this government webpage. Once you have read the guidance you can start your application here.

If you have lived in the UK for 5 continuous years or more, you will be eligible for settled status (indefinite leave to remain). If you have lived in the UK for less than 5 years, you will be eligible for pre-settled status (temporary leave to remain), which you can convert to ‘settled’ status once you have lived continuously in the UK for 5 years. Once EU/EEA/Swiss nationals have received your status it will be on-line (you will not receive a letter) and you can share it, when asked by an employer for example, through the home office website. Any family members who are not EU/EEA/Swiss nationals will receive a biometric card.

What support can I get?

GARAS can advise and give information on applying to the EU Settlement Scheme including:

  • What the EU Settlement Scheme is
  • What criteria you need to meet
  • How to make an application
  • What documents you will need to apply
  • What type of status you are eligible for
  • Completing application forms

Due to the COVID-19 situation, GARAS is currently closed, but staff are available to help. To make an appointment, please email admin@garas.org.uk, or send a Whatsapp message to 07909 147656. It is free to make an application to the EU Settlement Scheme, and support from GARAS is provided at no cost.

Important Information

The deadline to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme is 30 June 2021.

If you do not apply to the scheme before 30 June 2021, you risk becoming an unlawful resident in the UK, and may lose your access to work and benefits, including the NHS.

GARAS are working together with Gloucester County Council and Citizens Advice to provide assistance on the EU Settlement Scheme within Gloucestershire. If you live outside of Gloucestershire, please visit this Government webpage to find a local organisation to help with your application.